Saturday, August 12, 2017

Not really that oishii - Oishii Ramen

Haven’t updated my blog for a while since I got to Perth. Just too many things going on and haven’t been eating out that much so I joined my friends who were to visit this ramen place in Myaree today. 


We got there at around 10:45am and the restaurant was already super packed. Had to wait for around 15 minutes to get in and I was super glad that we came early even though I am not used to having ramen as my breakfast LOL.

With quite a small place that can only fit around 15-18 pax, it kind of explained the long queue at an off-peak time. The noodle bar resembles those authentic Japanese noodle carts and the décor is pretty simple and cozy.


This restaurant focuses on their ramen, udon and a few other side dishes. I liked the way they keep the menu small so the chefs can concentrate on making the noodles right.


Our group picked shoyu goma ramen, tonkotsu ramen and spicy miso ramen so we could try out a few flavours in one go.

Shoyu goma ramen (AUD$13.90) – Chashu (braised pork belly), sesame seeds, Japanese bamboo shoots, beansprouts, spring onion, black fungus, seaweed, fish cake and garlic oil
This was my pick and the ramen looked really scrumptious with all the toppings and that drizzle of garlic oil!


The soup was rather disappointing as it’s watery and thin. I couldn’t taste any shoyu flavour nor goma aroma. It’s definitely overpowered by the garlic oil.

Oh before I continue whining, here’s a reminder that the soft-boiled egg does not come with this ramen. If you really want one, it’s $1 for half an egg. I would just give it a bare pass as the egg looked more like a hard boiled one. Thank god it’s still a little gooey in the middle but it’s not even marinated. It’s totally a rip off and seriously don’t bother.


The noodles were thick, wavy and bouncy, exactly the type I like. Only if the broth was thicker so it can cling to the noodles to make the whole ramen experience even more enjoyable.


The 3 slices of chashu looked legit and they were the thinnest chashu I’ve ever eaten by far. It fell apart at just the slightest touch with my chopsticks and melted in the mouth before I could taste anything. Yes they were incredibly tender but WAY TOO THIN. Worse still, each extra slice costs $1.90. You've gotta be freaking kidding me. 


Here you can see how fragile it is even when it’s on a bed of noodles.



The toppings in the other 2 ramen were more or less the same so I just tasted the soup. 


Tonkotsu broth (from tokotsu ramen, AUD$13.90) was really bland and lacking in depth. Nothing else.


Spicy miso broth (from spicy miso ramen, AUD$13.90) was pungent and I almost choked on the spiciness. Absolutely overwhelming and made the miso flavor close to unnoticeable. Sorry not my kind of spicy miso.


Call me mean but I’ll probably check out other restaurants in the area If I’m hunting for food at Myaree again.









Oishii Ramen

33 Hulme Court, Myaree,
Perth WA

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...