Sunday, May 8, 2016

‘The Curly Pig’ burger preview - Beef & Liberty

Beef & Liberty has always been one of my favourite burger joints in town because of their consistently high quality burger and relaxing vibes. I was very lucky to have been invited to their burger preview dinner to try out ‘The Curly Pig’ Mangalica pork burger. Imagine how excited I am to be invited by my beloved restaurant! YAY!


As the clock struck 6, I dashed out of the office for my burger dinner. Upon our arrival the staff gave us a warm welcome and had us seated by the bar. The staff provided us with a drink menu too. As I’m not much of a beer person, I picked lemonade and it was so refreshing!

After taking a few sips of the lemonade it was time for dinner. Oh yeah! I just couldn’t wait! Since it was a group dinner, they had us seated at a long table. I actually love this kind of setting as everyone got to interact with other foodies. So we sat down and we notice this little brown take out box in front of us! Hhhhhmm what could it be? We had fun guessing what’s in it and at some point I even thought our burger might be inside…omg what was I thinking? J were you THAT hungry?


Ta-dah! Secret revealed! A bottle of beer, a cash coupon to be used at their PMQ pop-up store and a B&L coaster. My life is complete. Well….You know I’m just kidding. My life is never complete without food.


So chef Neil Tomes came over and had a nice chat with all of us and there came our food! We’ve got tomato salad, chilli cheese fries and fried beef brisket for starters.

Tomatoes were fresh, chilled and juicy - a refreshing and appetizing beginning for the night.

Chilli cheese fries is good as usual. Skin on thick cut fries topped with chilli and melted cheese, need I say more?
                                  


Tender beef brisket encased in thick batter was deep fried to golden brown and crispy. Very innovative but a bit more seasoning is needed.


Neil then joined us again and introduced his new baby – ‘The Curly Pig’ burger. The key component, patty, is made with Mangalica pork, a highly sought after meat that is recognized for its richness and intense flavor. What’s more, Mangalica pork is spiced with ground fennel, garlic ginger as well as onion, and grilled to create a light crust. It is then served on B&L’s white sourdough, garnished with apple slaw, lightly dressed mizuna leaves and finished with a crispy pancetta disc.

This is how the Diva looks like.


It’s so huge that I had to open my mouth really wide to make sure I got to taste all the ingredients in one bite. It’s not something I do all the time but I didn’t give a damn after my first bite. Everything complemented each other so well in terms of flavours and textures. Sweet and sour apple slaw moisturized the patty and made it more flavourful while pancetta gave the burger extra saltiness and crispiness. Most importantly, the white sourdough was toasted to warm and crispy which brought deliciousness to a whole new level. So good. So amazing. It is the attention to every single detail that made the burger so so good. I salute you chef Tomes.


We finished off the dinner with warm skillet cookie & cream and banoffee pie. Warm cookie didn’t make me go wow as I have had it before but that thickened cream and warm chocolate cookie combination was still very comforting. I had been longing for banoffee pie as I really wanted to know if B&L can do this well. Banana flavoured cream that is full of vanilla seeds worked well with banana and caramel. It’s very fulfilling as a dessert and surprisingly not overly sweet. Chocolate bits and bobs was a nice and exciting touch too as they are actually chocolate coated popping candies. It’s a perfect ending to our dinner and B&L once again nailed it.


A genuinely great night with good food and fun people.


The Curly Pig is available from 3 May to 3 July 2016. Go grab yours and you’ll understand how happy I was!

Sorry for not taking photos of some of the dishes. Originally I got no plans of blogging it but I just couldn’t help it. Will take more photos for my future posts :P









Beef & Liberty

2/F, 23 Wing Fung Street, Wan Chai

灣仔永豐街
23 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...